Preparing for the First Meeting with Your San Diego Personal Injury Attorney
This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 15th, 2015
Posted in Uncategorized | Posted by: George Heppner - San Diego Personal Injury Attorney
The first meeting with your San Diego personal injury attorney is very important. This is when both of you will become acquainted and you will have the opportunity to discuss your case for the first time. Your attorney will most likely ask you to make certain preparations for this meeting, as explained below.
It is very important that you see a doctor as soon after the accident as possible. Your San Diego personal injury attorney will need you to have professional substantiation of your injuries. It is best that you seek a doctor on your own rather than ask your attorney to refer you.
If you are having significant pain or discomfort, you should ask your doctor about taking time off of work. The doctor may tell you that it is up to you whether or not to take time off. If this occurs, take the time off if working causes you to be in a lot of pain.
Documents You Will Need
Your San Diego personal injury attorney will probably ask you to bring along certain documents if you are able. These include the following:
- A copy of the police report
- An appraisal on the damage to your automobile, if applicable
- Names and phone numbers of any witnesses to the incident
- Pictures of the scene of the accident and/or of your car. If you were injured in a slip and fall, take pictures of the area where this occurred. It will be important for jurors to have a picture of the scene where your accident occurred in order to help them understand what happened. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.
- Copies of medical bills, prescriptions, doctor’s instructions, and accident reports filed with the Secretary of State
Discussing Your Case
Your attorney will advise you to avoid discussing your case with anyone. This includes witnesses and the insurance adjuster. If an insurance company contacts you, tell them you are going to consult with an attorney and that any contact will be made through him.
Work with a San Diego Personal Injury Attorney
It is very important that you come to the first meeting with your San Diego personal injury attorney fully prepared. Also, unless it is absolutely necessary, don’t postpone your appointment. There is a strict statute of limitations on filing accident claims. Call George Charles Heppner today at (619) 235-4300 to arrange an initial consultation.